STUDY OF GROUND PORK THAWING DYNAMICS USING MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING
Visualization of changes in shape and size of the frozen residue during the thawing of ground pork is implemented using magnetic resonance imaging. A technique has been developed to study the displacement of thawing front line without damage to integrity of the object being thawed. It has been established that the melting of bound water crystals outran the melting of free water crystals in meat. A mathematical model that adequately describes the experimental data obtained in the analysis of tomograms is proposed. Tomograms are an important information source for studying the patterns of heat and mass transfer during the thawing of frozen foods.
About the AuthorsVladimir M. Stefanovskiy
doctor of technical sciences, professor, head scientific collaborator
125422, Moscow, Kostyakova str., 12. Tel.: +7-495-253-15-74
Evgeny V. Morozov
candidate of physical and mathematical cciences , senior researcher
660036, Krasnoyarsk, Akademgorodok 50/24. Tel.: +7-391-249-85-61
Vyacheslav M. Bоuznik
doctor of chemical sciences, professor, academician of RAS, advisor to the general director
105005, Moscow, Radio str., 17. Тел.: +7-977-969-70-30
1. Xiong, Z., Sun, D.W., Pu, H., Gao, W., Dai, Q. (2015). Applications of emerging imaging techniques for meat quality and safety detection and evaluation: A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 57(4), 755-768. DOI: 10.1080/10408398.2014.954282
2. Liney, G. P. (2006). MRI in clinical practice. London:SpringerVerlag. -128 p. ISBN 978-1-84628-161-7
3. Ebrahimnejad, H., Ebrahimnejad, H., Salajegheh, A., Barghi, H. (2018). Use of magnetic resonance imaging in food quality control: A review. Journal of Biomedical Physics and Engineering, 8(1), 127- 132. DOI: 10.22086/jbpe.v0i0.628
4. Evans, S.D., Nott, K.P., Kshirsagar, A.A., Hall, L.D. (1998). The effect of freezing and thawing on the magnetic resonance imaging parameters of water in beef, lamb and pork meat. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 33(3), 317-328. DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2621.1998.00165.x
5. Kerr, W.L., Kauten, R.J., McCarthy, M.J., Reid, D.S. (1998). Monitoring the Formation of Ice During Food Freezing by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 31(3), 215-220. DOI:10.1006/fstl.1997.0323
6. Nott, K.P., Evans, S.D., Hall, L.D. (1999). The Effect of FreezeThawing on the Magnetic Resonance Imaging Parameters of Cod and Mackerel. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 32(5), 261-268. DOI: 10.1006/fstl.1999.0549
7. Hills, B.P., Goncalves, O., Harrison, M., Godward, J. (1997). Real Time Investigation of the Freezing of Raw Potato by NMR Microimaging. Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry, 35, 829-836.
8. Frelka, J.C., Phinney, D.M., Yang, X., Knopp, M.V., Heldman, D.R., Wick, M.P., Vodovotz, Y. (2018). Assessment of chicken breast meat quality after freeze/thaw abuse using magnetic resonance imaging techniques. Journal of Science Food and Agriculture, 99(2), 844-853. DOI:10.1002/jsfa.9254
9. Stefanovskiy, V.M., Polyakov, I.A., Petrov, V.V. (2016). Research of moisture migration during partial freezing of ground beef. Theory and practice of meat processing, 1(4), 43-50. (In Russ.) DOI: 10.21323/2414-438X-2016-1-4-43-50
10. Bernstein, M.A., King, K.F., Zhou, X.J. (2004). Handbook of MRI Pulse Sequences. Burlington: Elsevier Academic Press. -1049 p. ISBN: 9780120928613
11. G. Kerch. Distribution of tightly and loosely bound water in biological macromolecules and age-related diseases. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 118 (2018) 1310–1318)
12. Lykov, A.V. (1968). Theory of heat conduction. M: Higher School. – 559 р.
13. Ginsburg, A.S., Gromov, G.I., Krasovskaya, V.S., Ukolov, M.A.(1975). Thermophysical characteristics of food products and materials. Reference book M: Food industry. -223 p.
14. Almashi, E., Erdeli, L., Sharoy, T. (1981). Rapid freezing of foods (translated from Hungarian). M: Light and food industry .-408 p.
15. Chubik, I.A., Maslov, A.M. (1970). Handbook on the thermophysical characteristics of food products and semi-finished products. M: Food industry .-184 p.
16. Refrigeration equipment. Encyclopedic reference (book 2). M: Gostorgizdat. 1961. -575 p.
For citation: Stefanovskiy V.M., Morozov E.V., Bоuznik V.M. STUDY OF GROUND PORK THAWING DYNAMICS USING MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING. Theory and practice of meat processing. 2019;4(1):17-20. https://doi.org/10.21323/2414-438X-2019-4-1-17-20
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.